Summer Internships and research opportunities are a great way to build your resume and try out potential career choices. The knowledge and skills you gain during an internship will make you more attractive to potential employers or graduate schools and could make the learning curve less steep once you start your career. Some companies even pre-select candidates for future job vacancies based on how they perform in internships.
Much of the material you study, especially as an undergraduate, may seem abstract. It can be hard to see how it fits into the working world. That's another reason gaining experience through an internship is so useful, it helps you understand the context of what you lean in the classroom.
Internships allow you the opportunity to make connections with others in your chosen field and learn how to communicate in a professional environment. You may even find a mentor in your field. A summer internship, whether paid or unpaid, can give you the foundation you'll need when you start your career or further your education.
It is also possible to earn class credit for a summer internship. The course options are BIO 3500 (1-6hrs) Independent Research or BIO 4501 (3hrs) Independent Research [CAP] or BIO 4900 (1-3hrs) Internship or BIO 4910 (3hrs) Capstone Internship in Biology [CAP]. Please see Biology Department Internship Guidelines for more information before registering for one of these courses.
Below are some links to organizations that employ student interns every year. Our Facebook page also periodically publishes internship opportunities as well, so be sure to follow us.
- State of North Carolina Internship Program
- UNC Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates
- University of Illinois Summer Research Opportunities Program
- University of Wisconsin SIGNALS
- Oak RIdge Institute for Science and Education
- National Institutes of Health
- Smithsonian Environmental Research Center (SERC)
- Blandy Experimental Farm, University of Virginia
- Cornell Summer Research Scholars Program
- Plant Genomics at Michigan State University
- Chicago Botanic Garden
- Baylor College of Medicine SMART Program
- Mayo Clinic Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship
- Johns Hopkins Summer Internship Program
- St. Jude's Children's Hospital Pediatric Oncology Education Program
- Duke Summer Neuroscience Program
- UNC School of Medicine and Dentistry MED Program
- University of Massachusetts Medical School (UMMS) Summer Undergraduate Research Program
- NIH Postbaccalaureate Research Education Program
Ecology and Environmental
- Mountain Lake Biological Station Summer Courses
- Smithsonian Environmental Research Center
- National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
- Student Conservation Association
- University of Colorado Mountain Research Station
- Highlands Biological Station Summer Courses